[logback-user] DBAppender and timestmp as big int

Mel T machintruc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 20:45:47 CEST 2009

We need to write our own DBAppender. I want us to have it very similar to
the logback DBAppender (i.e. use the same DB schema plus our own fields).

I wonder why this appender defines the date columns as big int. Are these
some of the reasons ?

 - native dates are hard to support accross multiple DBs

 - timezone and DST can really hurt us.

 - it is faster to write a big int than a date where a clendar would have to
be passed into the ps.setTimestamp calls.

or are there other reasons?

Mel T.