[logback-user] Redirecting logback logs to log4j

Johan Bos johan.bos at c6.eu
Wed Aug 19 10:12:19 CEST 2009

Hi,

I designed component, packaged in jars, using slf4j and logback, this
library is then packaged with a third party application using log4j.

I presumed that slf4j and logback could be used to change your log system
depending on the loaded libraries of your classpath.

Here my configuration:

my_library.jar using only slf4j and at some point logback dependencies

included with it:

slf4j-to-log4j.jar

slf4j.jar

log4j.jar --> already present in the war.

logback-*.jar

All these libraries are installed into a third part webapp application
(client_app.war), directly under the WEB-INF/lib directory of this
application.

This application has a log4j.properties, in the classes directory, changes
are made to create a log4j logger.

At my understanding, my library's log events should be redirecting from
slf4j/logback to log4j, using the log4j.properties, and so be written in the
"client_app..log" configured?

Am I wrong?

Do I still need a logback.xml to be located under the classes of this
webapps as well?

Regards,

Johan Bos