[logback-user] Logging to database

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Mon Jan 12 17:35:15 CET 2009

Hello Aswani,

SiftingAppender can help you separate logging output per user, for example to
separate files. However, it can also be used to encapsulate any other kind of
appender, not just FileAppender. You could in principle create an appender which
collects logging entries belonging to a user and then writing the results as a
database entry. SiftingAppender can deal with such an appender.

Note that by logging into a database, assuming you have MDC data, you can
perform SQL operations (select) resulting in the logs for a designated user.
However, logging to a database is slower than writing to a file.