[logback-user] Minimal library dependency for logback implementation of RequestLogImpl

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Fri Jan 23 10:02:26 CET 2009

Russell E Glaue wrote:
> Yes, I am only interested in logback-access so that I can implement the
> jetty.RequestLogImpl for Geronimo-Jetty 2.1.3
> And you say to do this I only need the logback-core/access libraries.

Yes, that's what I am saying.

> I asked what the relationship was between logback and slf4j.
> Can I assume from what you are saying that logback-core and logback-access in no
> way have anything to do with slf4j in any way?

You can assume that. Actually, I can guarantee it.

> So, to get to my results, Geronimo-Jetty 2.1.3 implements slf4j-api 1.4.3 (Jetty
> 6.1.14 implements slf4j 1.3.1).
> If I load the logback-access and logback-core 1.5.6 libraries into Geronimo, is
> there going to be any issues or conflicts with specifically the slf4j 1.4.3
> support in Geronimo?

If Geronimo and Jetty integrate well at present, adding logback-access to the
mix will have no impact on Geronimo and Jetty integration. If you wish, it would
not hurt to ask Geronimo and Jetty developers to upgrade to the latest version
of SLF4J, that is 1.5.6.

> In other words, will loading logback-core/access 1.5.6 into Geronimo override
> any part of the existing slf4j 1.4.3 library?

No, as logback-core and logback-access are unrelated to SLF4J.

> Can any application use slf4j 1.3.1 OR slf4j 1.4.3 libraries, and then at the
> same time use logback-core and logback-access 0.9.14 libraries without any problems?

Please see above.