[logback-user] Minimal library dependency for logback implementation of RequestLogImpl

Russell E Glaue rglaue at cait.org
Tue Jan 27 18:43:15 CET 2009

While this is true in general when the desire is to embed a LGPL work into an
APL work, it is not true in this case.

In regards to LGPL 2.1, which Logback is licensed, review section 5.
In using logback in Geronimo:
1. Logback is distributed with Geronimo, but Geronimo is not derived from Logback.
2. Geronimo can run without Logback.

I am intending that the Logback library be distributed with Geronimo to provide
an additional option for logging at the user's prerogative. However, by default
the Logback library would not be configured, thus making the Logback library a
dormant unused library by default.

The only license problem Apache (APL) has with LGPL is the restriction LGPL puts
on larger works, as defined in LGPL section 5. However, as I have noted, in this
case Geronimo would not be consider a "larger work".

So, yes, as you said, Logback has to be an optional component.

However, thank you for making this clear to me.

I now am considering that to include a LGPL software in an APL software as I
have said may not initially cause any issues, but as time proceeds, the doors
will be inviting issues while the LGPL is part of the distribution, lending to
the future possibility of violating section 5 of the LGPL.

How does the logback community feel about this restriction upon the Logback library?

-RG