[logback-user] Minimal library dependency for logback implementation of RequestLogImpl

Russell E Glaue rglaue at cait.org
Wed Jan 28 16:38:21 CET 2009

>> And this answer a previous question of where to commit the GBean
>> implementation
>> of the Logback Jetty RequestLogImpl for Geronimo. We should contribute
>> it to
>> Logback for inclusion in release X, then lobby Geronimo to support
>> release X of
>> Logback.
>
> If GBean's are a Geronimo construct (I am unfamiliar with Geronimo) and
> the GBean in question just allows Logback's configuration to be
> dynamically updated I see no reason why this can't reside with Geronimo,
> unless it needs to modify existing Logback classes.

The GBean is a Geronimo construct, however if Geronimo does not bundle the
Logback library in with it, then it seems ridiculous to include the GBean in
Geronimo which depends on an external library not available in the Geronimo distro.

Instead it makes more since to put it in the Logback distro.

Logback implements the Jetty RequestLog, as RequestLogImpl. This implementation
is in the Logback distro, not Jetty. Jetty does not incorporate Logback, so it
would seem funny to give the implementation to Jetty unless they also agree to
accept the Logback libraries into the distribution.

On the other hand, if we implement a log4j version of RequestLog, that should go
into the Jetty namespace, and not the Log4j namespace, as Log4j is distributed
with Jetty.

Overall, I agree with you. It would seem logical that the RequestLogImpl (of
Logack) be distributed as part of Jetty, and the GBean wrapper for it
distributed with Geronimo, but if Jetty and Geronimo do not bundle the Logback
library, I do not see that as making sense.

-RG