[logback-user] slf4 with logback causes java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Mel T machintruc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:36:56 CEST 2009

>> Some tests use DbUnit, which has an astronomic number of debug logs.
>> I ran YourKit profiler on that and this ByteArrayOutputStream grew to 1G
>> at
>> one point around which it caused the heap space memory error.

One thing I also noticed when looking at the profiler was that the number of
LoggingEvent instances increased dramatically as well before they were
eventually garbage collected. Maybe that is just a normal thing though.

> Ideally, you would contact the Ant user list to report this
> problem. The DBUnit folks should be notified as well. (Generating 1GB
> of logs may not be reasonable.)

I will do that.

> I am sorry about the time you spent/wasted on this issue. Thank you
> for sharing the results of your investigation on this list.

I did not spend that much time. Did that in between a few things. The worst
is getting to remember how to use and interpret YourKit. This is not
something I do every day so I forget.