[logback-user] Log4j LoggingEvent

Ralph Goers rgoers at apache.org
Tue May 12 07:48:02 CEST 2009

You could create your own Appender that extends
UnsynchronizedAppenderBase. In the Appender write the events to a
Queue, taking care that the Queue is thread-safe (for example, by
using one of the Queues in java.util.concurrent). You could then have
a separate thread that then does the real work of removing the logging
events from the queue and processing them. With this, the only locking
that would occur in the application thread would be in adding the
LoggingEvent to the queue. However, it would also have to retrieve the
caller data and the thread name prior to adding the LoggingEvent to
the queue.

Actually, now that I think about it, this seems like it would be a
great AsynchronousAppender class. It would just need to be configured
with the Appender that writes the data.

Ralph