[logback-user] same layout - different results

Ralph Goers rgoers at apache.org
Fri Sep 4 02:29:58 CEST 2009

I don't think this has anything to do with zOS but with the default
locale of the machines. It appears to me that the portion of the log
entry that has the "funny" text is the log message, which I'm guessing
is being dynamically constructed. Since you didn't provide the
relevant code though, it is impossible to know whether SLF4J is doing
the constructing or your application.

Although Java uses Unicode I don't know what you used to view the file
and then to paste it into the message. Many mainframe apps are tied to
specific code pages. So we would need a bit more information to help.
Also you should probably get the data from the source in a file and
send it around that way. That way it doesn't get mangled as it passes
from one locale to another.

Ralph