[logback-user] Split long data on multiple rows

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Tue Sep 22 11:38:28 CEST 2009

Hello Anders,

Logback-core? Nice.

If only the field 'foo' needs to be split, then just override the converter for
the field foo to do the splitting, and you are done. However, you requirements
differ as you also require the repetition of other fields.

The approach which seems the most logical to me, would be to derive a sub-class
from PatternLayoutBase overriding the writeLoopOnConverters method so that when
the foo field needs splitting, you would loop over the converter chain as many
times as necessary.

Here is a possible implementation:

class MyPatternLayout extends PatternLayoutBase<MyEvent> {

   protected String writeLoopOnConverters(MyEvent event) {
     Foo foo = event.getFoo();
     StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
     String[] fooParts = split(foo);
     for(String s: fooParts) {
       // construct a new event from 'event' so that foo has only one part
       MyEvent splitEvent = new MyEvent(event, s);
       String line = super.writeLoopOnConverters(splitEvent);
       sb.append(line);
       sb.append(CoreConstants.LINE_SEPARATOR);
     }
     return sb.toString();
   }
}