[logback-user] sending log events from BlackBerry devices

ekke ekkehard at gentz-software.de
Tue Aug 10 23:09:01 CEST 2010

last months I had to develop some mobile applications for a customer -
it was the first time developing in this area

and what was the first I really missed ? yes - Logging

BlackBerry Java apps are using Java - something like 1.3 plus some RIM API,
so no collections (only vector and Array), no generics.....

  and logging the BlackBerry way means: System.out()  :(
and this output is only availabel if the simulator was started in
debug-mode, what's time-consuming
and if you're running the debugger, then the output in Console is mixed
with hundreds of events RIM is logging there -
no, there's no filtering

so I started to think how to get logging ?

and now its working:

I'm using Lilith from Jörn Huxhorn and sending zipped LogEvents in
LogBack format as XML thru a socket connection,
and - thanks to the help of Jörn - its working :)

will do some more tests with real apps in real life and then provide as EPL

...I'll let you know
--

ekke (ekkehard gentz)
independent software-architect
mailto:ekke at ekkes-corner.org
homepage (de): http://gentz-software.de
blog (en): http://ekkes-corner.org
project lead: http://redview.org and http://red-open.org
eclipse committer: Runtime Project Riena - http://eclipse.org/riena
twitter: @ekkescorner
skype: ekkes-corner
Steuer-Nr: 156/220/30931 FA Rosenheim, UST-ID: DE189929490