[logback-user] smtpappender buffer size

Chris Cheshire cheshirator at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 23:45:25 CEST 2010

I am really baffled at this change. How is the "relevant buffer" determined?

When I get 255 debug and info messages attached to one error email,
this is far from relevant. The only relevant log message is the error,
not anything else with it.

"Given the structure of current hard drives and performance tests we
have conducted, it appears that turning off immediate flushing or
buffering of character to byte conversions have rather small impact on
performance."

But forcing the SMTPAppender to send a 250KB email instead of a 1KB
email is not a small impact on performance? I have this running on a
web app, where an error might occur once every few days. I don't need
to see info or debug messages days old for one error - there is zero
relevance here.

Looking at the SiftingAppender docs, I don't see how to achieve this.

Sorry if I sound irritated, I am just completely bewildered by this
introduction of something so cumbersome and obscure in replacing such
a simple feature

Chris