[logback-user] How to output all errors to console, and errors+mesgs to logfile?

Rob rmh83 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 14 00:05:28 CET 2010

Hello,

I'm a new user and struggling to achieve the following:
1) All "error" messages must go to stdout and a logfile.
2) Based on com.example.myclass level settings, messages also go to logfile.

My problem is I can't get both requirement 1 and 2 working simultaneously.
The following results in debug messages going to the console.  Using
additivity="false" results in errors from com.example.myclass not going to the
console.

Any suggestion is welcome!

<configuration>
	<appender name="ROLLING" class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
	<appender name="CONSOLE" class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">

	<logger name="com.example.myclass" level="debug">
		<appender-ref ref="ROLLING"/>
	</logger>

	<root level="error">
		<appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/>