[logback-user] Where did WriterAppender go?

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Sat Jun 5 15:07:03 CEST 2010

Hello Hamlet,

As of logback version 0.9.19, WriterAppender has been replaced by
OutputStreamAppender. See also http://logback.qos.ch/news.html in
particular the description of changes in version 0.9.19 copied below:

Breaking change: FileAppender now expects an Encoder

OutputStreamAppender, FileAppender now sub-classing the
latter. OutputStreamAppender and sub-classes now take an Encoder
instead of a Layout.

Contrary to layouts which simply transform a logging event into a
String, an encoder is responsible for writing the actual event or more
accurately the representation of the event onto the output stream. The
role of the enclosing appender is now limited to managing the output
stream (opening/closing) but not writing actual contents onto the
stream. This change will require modifications to existing
configuration files. We hope to make up for this inconvenience with
cool new features which are only possible using encoders. During a
transition period, layouts passed as parameter will be automatically
wrapped by an encoder so that configuration files in the old format
(using a layout instead of encoder) will continue to work unmodifed.

HTH,