[logback-user] filtering by logger name in logback console plugin

Kearney, Joe Joe.Kearney at gsacapital.com
Thu Mar 4 13:29:18 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to use the Logback Eclipse plugin, Eclipse 3.5.2, Logback Console plugin 1.1.0. Works a charm, until I try to write any more sophisticated filters than the only example of
	Level >= INFO
and similar.

I'm trying to filter to accept DEBUG messages from my code, but deny such messages from Spring, whose loggers are called "org.springframework...".

I try the following and keep getting "The new expression is not correct." There is no error in the Eclipse error log or in the console.
	logger.contains("org.springframework")
	event.getLoggerName().contains("org.springframework")

(Guessing types of these supplied variables from http://logback.qos.ch/manual/filters.html#evalutatorFilter.)

Filtering on the message appears to be accepted by the config window:
	message.contains("org.springframework")

But it doesn't apply any filtering to the logger name. (Here the logger name actually gets compacted to "o.s...." but trying other, non-compacted, segments of the name doesn't help either.)

For now I can filter out things like "reating instance" or "bean", but that's hardly satisfactory.

What am I doing wrong with the logger name/event?

Thanks,
Joe