[logback-user] No message when if config file present

Joel Rosi-Schwartz Joel.Rosi-Schwartz at Etish.org
Sun May 23 15:06:48 CEST 2010

Sigh, cut and paste bites again... corrected examples below

On 23 May 2010, at 13:53, Joel Rosi-Schwartz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a bit of strange problem that I do not understand at all.
>
> I am working on sorting out a bit of a nightmare at work. We have 100s of project that get mixed in various way into applications packaged in war's and ear's. There are a number of logging technologies uses through these projects including logback, log4j, slf4j and JCL. (It's a goodness I have not found JUL yet:)
>
> On of the issues I am working on is to reduce the noise from third party libraries. I tracked down some of this to JCL being used and eventually logback getting control of the output. As a quick fix while I sort a proper strategy I decided to add a logback.xml configuration to one of the applications. Sure enough all of the debug noise from the third party libraries subsided. As I next step I tried to turn the debug back on and oddly I cannot. If I rename logback.xml the debug message start again. This seems so straightforward I cannot imagine what I am doing wrong. The two version of the configuration file follow.
>

> === INFO Level
> <configuration>
>       <appender name="STDOUT" class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">
>             <encoder>
>                   <pattern>%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%thread] %-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n
>                   </pattern>
>             </encoder>
>       </appender>
>
>       <root level="INFO">
>             <appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
>       </root>
> </configuration>
>
> === DEBUG Level
> <configuration>
>       <appender name="STDOUT" class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">
>             <encoder>
>                   <pattern>%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%thread] %-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n
>                   </pattern>
>             </encoder>
>       </appender>
>
>       <root level="DEBUG">
>             <appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
>       </root>
> </configuration>
>

> Any ideas of where I am going wrong would be very appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
> Joel

   Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you.

http://www.etish.org                                                                     http://www.eclipse.org/ormf