[logback-user] Problem with Syslog appender

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Fri Oct 22 17:17:51 CEST 2010

On 22.10.2010 17:02, Pradnya Gawade wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have following requirements when sending the log from a java web
> application to syslog server:

> 1. When logging the stack trace in case of exceptions, all the stack
> strace should be seen as a single message.

Logback does not support this feature. Please create a jira issue asking
for it.

> 2. Need to send either or all of the following information in logs- name
> of the web application, URL, version of the application.

Via MDC
=======

Add the following code when your web-app starts:

MDC.put("appName", ...);
MDC.put("appURL", ...);
MDC.put("appVersion", ...);

In logback.xml:

<appender name="SYSLOG" class="ch.qos.logback.classic.net.SyslogAppender">
    <SuffixPattern>%mdc{appName} %mdc{appURL} %mdc{appVersion} %logger
%msg</SuffixPattern>
</appender>

By system properties

Set the following system properties:

-DappName=... -DappURL=... -DappVersion

In logback.xml:

<appender name="SYSLOG"
class="ch.qos.logback.classic.net.SyslogAppender">
    <SuffixPattern>%property{appName} %property{appURL}
%property{appVersion} %logger  %msg</SuffixPattern>
</appender>

HTH