[logback-user] FileAppender Performance without IOBuffering

Hontvári József Levente hontvari at flyordie.com
Sat Oct 23 02:06:55 CEST 2010

I measured a similar setup quite a few years ago. Logback did not even
exist then, we used our own simple logging library. The measured
software was a server which received messages on several TCP
connections, did some calculation, most of the time it cached the
result, but eventually it saved results to a MySQL database. There was
one log entry per message (similarly to an HTTP access log)., about
50-100 log entries per second. I found that unbuffered logging reduced
the throughput of the server drastically, by 30%. On the other hand, if
buffering was switched on then the performance impact was negligible. I
measured it on Windows XP with a standard desktop hard disk, likely some
WD PATA 7200 RPM drive.

I believe that logging 1000 or more entries is practically impossible if
flushing is switched off. A single hard disk may do a few hundred IO
operation / s. Even if repeatedly appending to the same file is a quick
operation, this is simply too much. Maybe if you have a battery backed
SAS controller, that could help, in that case the controller itself
could buffer writes, but I am just thinking, I have absolutely no
experience with this. It is clear that you need some kind of buffering.
I am not sure, however, if all kind of buffering was eliminated from
logback or just one type. I am sure Ceki will give us the answer.