[logback-user] Feature request: elapsed time

Chris shef31 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 19:50:48 CEST 2010

This is a request for a new logback feature. Not sure if this is the
right place to post it.

I'd love to see a new PatternLayout conversion specifier: %elapsed

This would show the number of milliseconds elapsed since the last log
statement. At the moment, the closest option is %relative, which shows
the elapsed milliseconds since the layout was created.

I like to log the start and end of different functions so I can see the
performance of each. At the moment I have to calculate the elapsed time
in every individual function and log it. It would be easier to have
logback take care of this for me.