[logback-user] Memory consumption problem with LRUMessageCache class

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Tue Apr 12 15:22:37 CEST 2011

On 12.04.2011 11:45, François Petitit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have problems of excessive memory consumption, due to the object
> LRUMessageCache that grows constantly, until it exceeds 100MB.
> Then we restart the JVM to avoid crashes.
>
> Could the anomaly http://jira.qos.ch/browse/LBCLASSIC-255regarding the
> fact that the class LRUMessageCache is not multithread-safe explain the
> problem?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Hello Francois,

What you describe sounds like a serious bug. Could you please enter a
bug report so that the bug is not fotgotten?

Interestingly enough, LRUMessageCache is based for the most part on the
JDK's LinkedHashMap. If the bug is located in LRUMessageCache in the
code extending LinkedHashMap then we will fix LRUMessageCache. If
however, the bug is in LinkedHashMap, which is a distinct possibility,
then we can revert to the original LRUMessageCache which implemented the
functionality from the ground up, without relying on LinkedHashMap.

In any case, please enter a bug report indicating your version of
logback and JDK.

Cheers,

QOS.ch, main sponsor of cal10n, logback and slf4j open source projects,
is looking to hire talented software engineers. For further details, see
http://logback.qos.ch/job.html