[logback-user] Some logback-access questions

Marshall Pierce marshall at mpierce.org
Sat Dec 17 08:32:14 CET 2011

On 12/16/2011 08:43 AM, Mike Wartes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’ve been trying out the logback-access module as a potential
> replacement for Tomcat’s AccessLogValve. I’ve run into a couple of
> issues that I’m wondering if anyone can help with.
>
> 1.It doesn’t look like logback-access has the ability to print the query
> string like the %q value of Tomcat’s AccessLogValve does. Am I missing
> something, or are there any workarounds? Unfortunately this is actually
> a dealbreaker for me if I can’t make it work, since I need to have query
> strings in my access logs.
>
> 2.This one isn’t a dealbreaker, but I’d like to configure one access log
> per webapp in my Tomcat container instead of one access log for all
> webapps. My first thought was that it’d be simple enough to configure
> the LogbackValve under each webapp’s Context instead of under the Host
> element like the documentation suggests. However, I got stuck because of
> the way the LogbackValve is looking up its configuration file. I can’t
> put the logback-access file in the container’s conf directory because I
> want separate configuration per webapp. I also can’t specify a relative
> path to the right webapp’s folder because it can be in different places
> in different environments (the webapp files might not be in the
> container’s folder at all). If I could look the configuration file up on
> the classpath I think that’d be pretty ideal, but from what I can tell
> it doesn’t seem like that’s possible.
>
> Any suggestions? I’m loving logback-classic and was excited to see that
> there is a module for access logs as well, but for the time being I
> think I may have to go back to the AccessLogValve.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I don't know about (1) but as far as (2) goes, I also need to configure
things from the classpath. I'm running embedded Jetty so I'm using the
Jetty-specific RequestLogImpl from logback access. Here's the gist of
the workaround I used while I wait for 1.0.1's
RequestLogImpl#setResource to be released:

RequestLogImpl logbackRequestLog = new RequestLogImpl();
URL configFileUrl = getClass().getResource(...);

JoranConfigurator jc = new JoranConfigurator();
jc.setContext(logbackRequestLog);
jc.doConfigure(configFileUrl);

// hook up logbackRequestLog as needed

It looks like LogbackValve implements Context and is therefore
applicable for JoranConfigurator#setContext(), so the same approach may
work for you.