[logback-user] Log4j to Logback migration, logback.xml question

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Tue Feb 8 16:50:33 CET 2011

On 08.02.2011 12:48, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
> Thanks both, I'm in the process of checking out XLogger, slf4j-ext and
> LoggerWrapper.
>
> While doing this, some more (maybe stupid) questions, just to clarify:
>
> - Given what you said, I think I can't even create my own
> LoggerFactory and tell logback to use it (from logback.xml). Is this
> scenario possible? Because that would fix my issue. In short, I'd need
> to tell logback, through logback.xml to use my implementation of
> Logger.
> - Is there a way (I guess no, considering what Ceki said), to set
> Logger paramemters from inside<logger>, like I did in the log4j days
> using<param name="foo" value="1">  ? The answer is probably obvious,
> but better safe than sorry ;-).
> - Given the absence of a .dtd, is there a way to figure out all the
> supported parameters of logback.xml ?
>
> Thanks a lot

If you are familiar with log4j.xml it is fairly easy to convert a
log4j.xml to logback.xml. The hard part is mapping log4j classes to
their logback equivalents. (We have a tool which automates such
conversions for log4j.properties files).

As for your Logger extensions, Markers may give you the flexibility you
are looking for. What does your logger extension do?