[logback-user] RollingFileAppender don't roll at all

Sakho Meissa meissa.sakho at natixis.com
Tue Jul 12 17:36:04 CEST 2011

Hi all,
I'm tearing my hairs off to understand why the RollingFileAppender in my configuration doesn't behave as expected.
I'm using logBack 0.9.15 version with jboss 5.1 EAP. My configuration file is below with few remarks:

1) The fileNamePattern I've set (in bold) is supposed to create a new file file each minute.
2) I've set layout instead of an encoder (which is in pattern) because encoder in not supported in this version of logback.

When I start the server the output seem to be ok with my configuration and a log file named tpm-ws.log is created as expected.
After one day of testing, there is no other file created. All logs are still generated in the same file.

Can someone explain me what's wrong in my configuration?
Is the RollingFileAppender supported in the 0.9.15 version.

<configuration debug="true" scan="true">
<property name="tpm-log-file" value="C:\\Developpement\\jboss\\jboss-5.1.0.GA\\server\\default\\conf\\confwspatio\\logs\\tpm-ws.log" />

  <appender name="TPM-WS-LOG" class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
    <file>${tpm-log-file}</file>
    <rollingPolicy class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy">
      <!-- un nouveau fichier par jour -->
      <fileNamePattern>logFile.%d{yyyy-MM-dd-HHmm}.log</fileNamePattern>

      <!-- garde un historique de 30 jours -->
      <maxHistory>30</maxHistory>
    </rollingPolicy>
            <triggeringPolicy class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy">
      <maxFileSize>1MB</maxFileSize>
    </triggeringPolicy>

   <layout class="ch.qos.logback.classic.PatternLayout">
      <Pattern>%d{dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%thread] %-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n</Pattern>
    </layout>

            <!--
            <encoder>
      <pattern>%-4relative [%thread] %-5level %logger{35} - %msg%n</pattern>
    </encoder>
            -->
            </appender>
  <root level="TRACE">
    <appender-ref ref="TPM-WS-LOG" />
  </root>
  <logger name="org.springframework" level="TRACE">
        <appender-ref ref="TPM-WS-LOG" />
  </logger>

</configuration>

Thanks in advance.

Meissa SAKHO

NATIXIS

Systémes d'information Achats et Logistique / Etudes -Banque Privée

Tél. : +33 1 58 32 20 88

      : +33 6 01 27 58 46

www.natixis.com<http://www.natixis.com>

L'integrite de ce message n'etant pas assuree sur internet, Natixis ne peut etre tenu responsable de son contenu. Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisee est interdite. Si
vous n'etes pas destinataire de ce message, merci de le detruire et d'avertir l'expediteur. Ensemble, faisons un geste pour l'environnement : n'imprimons nos mails que si
necessaire.

The integrity of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet. Natixis can not therefore be considered responsible for the contents. Any unauthorized use or dissemination is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, then please delete it and notify the sender. Let us mind the environment : let's print our mails only when
necessary