[logback-user] question reg. reading JNDI env entries

Ravikanth Gangarapu rgangarapu at fry.com
Wed Jun 8 16:29:29 CEST 2011

Hi Ceki,
 I tried with the following two ways to get the classloaders. The classloader is same in InsertFromJNDIAction and in a servlet init method. It's always coming up as org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader with same hashcode.

Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader()
this.getClass().getClassLoader

Its possible logback is initialized before Tomcat has a chance to invoke setContextClassLoader. Is there a way to make logback wait until Tomcat sets the context classloader?

Also, I have tried to programmatically invoke configure.configure("my_logback.xml") from a servlet init method, then I am able to read the env-entries correctly. I think that the java:comp context is available only to java EE components. So, in that case, automatic detection mechanism for logback files will never be able to access env-entries from context.xml file? I've also observed that, with automatic file detection and load mechanism, env entries in web.xml are also not available.

Thanks
Ravi