[logback-user] Programmatically adding appenders

Bee-lindgren, Bert A bert.bee-lindgren at oit.gatech.edu
Fri Mar 4 03:56:31 CET 2011

Are you start( )'ing the appender?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Corbett" <jasoncorbett at gmail.com>
To: logback-user at qos.ch
Sent: Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:46:29 PM
Subject: [logback-user] Programmatically adding appenders

I have searched, but have been unable to find a way to do this. I need to add an appender after configuration has happened. This is because whether or not the appender is even wanted is dependent on a runtime condition. I've seen plenty of examples using the sifting appender, but I don't want to include the appender in the config file because I don't want to create a dependency on the appender being there (it's an optional component).

I've tried this:

LoggerContext lc = (LoggerContext) LoggerFactory.getILoggerFactory();
Logger testcase_logger = lc.getLogger("test");
logAppender.setContext(testcase_logger.getLoggerContext());
testcase_logger.addAppender(logAppender);

But I never get any logging events (this is a custom log appender). Test is the base of all the loggers I want logging to this appender (I want anything with a test. at the beginning of the logger name to write to this appender).

Any ideas?

My custom appender extends AppenderBase<ILoggingEvent>.

Jason Corbett