[logback-user] logback.groovy or logback.xml class path not recognized in excutable jar

Rathnadhar.K.V rathnadhar.kolar at wipro.com
Tue May 31 11:25:10 CEST 2011

Namasthe,

I want to know how to set the class path context in executable jar so that
logback can read the configuration file either logback.groovy or
logback.xml.

Apparently when we execute the java program out of executable jar, the
system set class path is not recognized. Only the classpath set in the
MANIFEST file is recognized. Due to this logback (logback.jar) cannot read
the user defined configuration hence it falls back to default configuration
that only sends the messages to console.

I have created the executable jar for my project. I work out of Eclipse
environment. In this IDE environment I have set the required class path.
When I "run" or "debug" using Eclipse, logback works perfectly. But when I
run the executable jar natively (java -jar abc.jar), logback falls back
default configuration. Placing the configuration files in the /lib directory
where the logback jars are present, does not help.

How enable the logback to read the configuration files in executable jar?