[logback-user] Problems with MDC's inheritance

Lóránt Pintér lorant.pinter at gmail.com
Tue May 31 15:54:07 CEST 2011

Hm, there's more trouble here then what first meets the eye.

Originally I thought that malicious MDC inheritance caused problems only if
you were careless, and forgot to either clear or retain the MDC information
when switching threads. But there are situations when you don't have any
kind of control over the ThreadPool, or the Runnables and Callables that get
executed on it.

Think of a third-party library that uses a java.util.Timer
or java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor behind an API that exposes none
of the threading logic, so you don't have a way to call MDC.setContextMap()
anywhere. In this case you will end up with polluted MDCs everywhere.

I've created an issue for this:
http://jira.qos.ch/browse/LBCLASSIC-272

<http://jira.qos.ch/browse/LBCLASSIC-272>Lorant