[logback-user] Compression in SiftingAppender

TJ Rothwell tj.rothwell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 19:20:20 CET 2011

Ceki,

The compression is the goal. However a feature like rollover on close would
make it easier to implement. The problem is that it adds complexity by
modifying an interface that 3rd parties are using. With the base class, it
reduces incompatibilities with those impls.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but rollover does processing on the activefile
inorder to prepare for the next activefile. The rollover process started
from the appender doesn't create the next activefile. Its after rollever
that the next activefile is created.

So having the appender perform rollover on close instead of the
rollingpolicy trying to do the work under its nose seems to be a bit easier
to understand.

Thanks,
- TJ

Sent from mobile.