[logback-user] How to log FROM an appender?

Steve Cohen scohen at javactivity.org
Tue Nov 15 14:39:18 CET 2011

It's a JMSQueue-based appender.  It was written for log4j (only recently
have we switched to logback) which didn't have one.  In addition to the
JMS functionality, at the other end of the JMS socket sits a server
application written in C with its own legacy logging system that must be
catered to.  This involves some special formatting and data which is
neither necessary nor desirable for inclusion in the local logging that
the client-side application also needs.  The appender is perhaps the
most convenient place to do this.

However, I do suppose that I should look at the layout and custom format
specifier supported by logback as a possibly better way to accomplish
the same thing.  But what I have seems to work.