[logback-user] Using logback access

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Wed Nov 16 08:02:14 CET 2011

Hello Yuvaraj,

On 16.11.2011 07:05, Yuvaraj Vanarase wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 questions.
>
> 1. What is logback access exactly. Is it about providing webserver
> request information in terms of log. Doesn’t such facility come with web
> server itself? (catalina.log for tomcat etc)

Yes, web-containers already support access logging. Logback-access
provides the same functionality but in addition logback-access is more
flexible with much better filtering and rolling capabilities.

> 2. I am trying to use logback access with Tomcat, however just not
> getting there. It would be great if someone points out any miss-outs.
>
> Below are details:
>
> -Tomcat 6.0.33
>
> -Logback core 0.9.30
>
> -Logback access 0.9.30
>
> I have put above logback jars into tomcat jar directory. I have added
> ‘Valve’ configuration in server.xml and as required put the
> logback-access.xml in conf directory of tomcat. I referred
> http://logback.qos.ch/access.html
>
> My webapp has single simple servlet that just prints login name on page
> which has been input from html login form. This works well however I do
> not see any logback initialization logs. When I query
> ‘AccessViewStatusMessages’, again I do not see any messages except one
> *‘Could not find status manager’*

There is a serious bug in AccessViewStatus servlet. That is probably
why you are seeing the 'Could not find status manager' message which
will be fixed with the logback next release.