[logback-user] I'm getting the "substitute logger" error message yet my appender still works

Paul Gifford pggifford at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 17:33:41 CEST 2011

Hi,

  I've written a custom appender that extends AppenderBase<ILoggingEvent>
and put it in a library.  I have a webapp that uses the custom appender.
When I deploy that webapp to Tomcat I get the SLF4J error message "The
following loggers will not work because they were created during the default
configuration phase of the underlying logging system."  The loggers listed
are my custom appender plus the Spring JDBC classes the appender depends on
(my appender logs to a table).

  My appender, however, works just fine.  I get entries in my table just as
expected.

  Is this error message something to be concerned about or am I receiving it
in error?

Thanks,

Paul