[logback-user] I'm getting the "substitute logger" error message yet my appender still works

ceki ceki at qos.ch
Mon Oct 24 21:05:25 CEST 2011

Hi Paul,

Logback components should use the status manager for their internal
logging.

The fact that your custom appender references a logger will not affect
the way it works except that the log messages originating from within
your appender or from one of its dependencies will be discarded.

You have 3 options:

1) use the status manager for internal messages
2) retrieve loggers anew until a real logger instance is returned (and
not an NOPLogger)
3) place your custom appender in another configuration file as
explained in http://slf4j.org/codes.html#substituteLogger