[logback-user] Tomcat 7 and LogbackValve - final method overridden

Paul Gifford pggifford at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 20:04:17 CEST 2011

Hi,

  We're migrating from Tomcat 6 to Tomcat 7.  I was able to set up Tomcat 6
as instructed on this page: http://logback.qos.ch/access.html but when I try
to do the same thing with Tomcat 7 I get the following exception:

java.lang.VerifyError: JVMVRFY007 final method overridden;
class=ch/qos/logback/access/tomcat/LogbackValve, method=stop()V, pc=0

This is because LogbackValve.stop() overrides public final synchronized void
stop() in org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.

LogbackValve.stop() just sets started=false.  What are the consequences of
removing the stop method from LogbackValve?  The variable "started" isn't
used elsewhere in the class, but it's package protected...I didn't look that
closely to see if it's used in by other classes.

If "started" isn't needed then I suggest removing it so the stop() method
can be removed so LogbackValve will work with Tomcat 7.

Paul