[logback-user] SMTPAppender mail not sent (logback 1.0.0, JDK 1.5)

Dave dsw2dev at twmi.rr.com
Thu Apr 19 00:02:58 CEST 2012

Hi everyone.  First time poster.  I thought I'd share my experiences and
findings on the SMTPAppender issues.

I've been struggling to get the STMPAppender working consistently ever since
version 0.9.29.  I've noticed on this mailing list that it might have been
related to JDK 1.5. So I've upgraded our environment to JDK 1.6 (along with
upgrading logback to 1.0.1) and every seemed to be working fine.

Then a few days ago, I didn't receive an e-mail from a STMPAppender event that I
knew for sure I was supposed to get.  I isolated and reproduced the event 10
consecutive times, with about 2 seconds between events.  When I checked my email
log, I only received 9 messages.

I ran the test again, and got all 10 messages as expected.  Tried again once
more, and again got 10 messages.  I decided to run my test one more time before
I put it to rest, but this time I got 9 messages.

After browsing the mailing lists for this issue, I saw Ceki's sample code
(posted March 5) testing the ExecutorService.  I clipped it out and tried it on
my machine (running jdk1.6.0_31).  I've found that this too was giving
inconsistent results.  Out of the three processes it suppose to execute, I get
results of 3,3,1,0,0,3,3,1,3 .... I was surprised to see it not execute any
processes at times. When running on JDK 1.5, I'm unable to get any results.

Anyways, that's my 0.02 cents that I can offer on this.  If there's any other
help I can offer pleas let me know

-dave