[logback-user] Problem with Logging in Linux

Tony Trinh tony19 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 23:57:00 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 6:52 AM, Oliver Zemann <oliver.zemann at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi, i have the absolut identical file for Windows which works as
> expected (logging), but not for linux:
>
> http://rifers.org/paste/show/1801
>
> There is just no logging - i started everything as root. Even when i
> use the FileAppender with its file name property set to "somelog.log"
> or "/root/somelog.log" it just saves nothing and i have no idea why.
>
> I used updatedb && locate to find a file called like this but there
> was nothing. Also lsof with a grep find nothing opened. So it is
> really not logging.
>
> Regards,
> Oli

Your config for the RollingFileAppender is missing the <file> element. The
manual contains a good example of all the necessary elements [1]. logback
should print a warning in the debug output for this.

It would be helpful if you provided additional details to reproduce the
problem:

 * What version of logback and slf4j are you using?
 * Which flavor (and version) of Linux are you running?
 * Does the same problem occur when you try your logback config in a simple
HelloWorld app (outside of install4j)?

FYI, your logback config works (writes to a file) for me in Android.

It looks like Install4j supports a console [2], when running  the installer
with "-c". It might be worth seeing if logback's debug-output prints in
that console.

[1]: http://logback.qos.ch/manual/appenders.html#logback-RollingTimeBased
[2]: http://www.ej-technologies.com/products/install4j/whatsnew4.html