[logback-user] Creating logback logger programmatically

Yusuf Soysal yusuf.soysal at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 19:19:27 CET 2012

Hello,

I have a problem regarding to logback project. My requirement is I
have to create log properties dynamically. Let me explain this by an
example.

My project creates socket communication with external system and it
may have multiple sockets. For each socket, I want to have different
log files which will contain the messages that is read and sent. To
accomplish this, I create the logger for sockets programmatically.
Problem is when I want to reconfigure loggers based on logback.xml (by
adding scan="true" or by reinitializing the logback), the loggers I
created becomes unusable. How can I fixed that or can you advise me
another solution?

This is my configuration file (logback.xml)

	<?xml version="1.0" ?>
	<configuration>
		<property name="HOME_PATH" value="/data/logs/myapp/" scope="CONTEXT" />
		<property name="MYAPP_LOG_FILE" value="myapp.log" />
		<property name="MYAPP_ROLLING_TEMPLATE" value="%d{yy-MM-dd}"
scope="CONTEXT" />
		<property name="MYAPP_OLD_LOG_FILE" value="${MYAPP_LOG_FILE}.%d{yy-MM-dd}" />
		<property name="DEFAULT_PATTERN" value="%d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS}
[%file:%line] [%level] %msg%n" scope="CONTEXT" />
			<appender name="myAppender"
class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
			<file>${HOME_PATH}${MYAPP_LOG_FILE}</file>
			<rollingPolicy class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy">
            	<fileNamePattern>${HOME_PATH}${MYAPP_LOG_FILE}.${MYAPP_ROLLING_TEMPLATE}</fileNamePattern>
        	</rollingPolicy>

        	<encoder class="ch.qos.logback.classic.encoder.PatternLayoutEncoder">
	            <pattern>${DEFAULT_PATTERN}</pattern>
        	</encoder>
		</appender>
			<logger name="com.myapp" level="DEBUG" additivity="false">
			<appender-ref ref="myAppender" />
		</logger>
	    	<root level="OFF">
    	</root>
	</configuration>

and here you can see how I create loggers programmatically (again, I
do this only for socket logs).

	public static Logger createLogger(String name) {
        	ch.qos.logback.classic.Logger templateLogger =
(ch.qos.logback.classic.Logger) LogUtil.getLogger("com.myapp");
        	LoggerContext context = templateLogger.getLoggerContext();

	        String logDir = context.getProperty("HOME_PATH");

    	    PatternLayoutEncoder encoder = new PatternLayoutEncoder();
        	encoder.setPattern(context.getProperty("DEFAULT_PATTERN"));
        	encoder.setContext(context);

        	DefaultTimeBasedFileNamingAndTriggeringPolicy<ILoggingEvent>
timeBasedTriggeringPolicy = new
DefaultTimeBasedFileNamingAndTriggeringPolicy<ILoggingEvent>();
        	timeBasedTriggeringPolicy.setContext(context);

        	TimeBasedRollingPolicy<ILoggingEvent> timeBasedRollingPolicy
= new TimeBasedRollingPolicy<ILoggingEvent>();
        	timeBasedRollingPolicy.setContext(context);
        	timeBasedRollingPolicy.setFileNamePattern(logDir + name +
".log." + context.getProperty("MYAPP_ROLLING_TEMPLATE"));
        	timeBasedRollingPolicy.setTimeBasedFileNamingAndTriggeringPolicy(timeBasedTriggeringPolicy);
        	timeBasedTriggeringPolicy.setTimeBasedRollingPolicy(timeBasedRollingPolicy);

        	RollingFileAppender<ILoggingEvent> rollingFileAppender = new
RollingFileAppender<ILoggingEvent>();
        	rollingFileAppender.setAppend(true);
        	rollingFileAppender.setContext(context);
        	rollingFileAppender.setEncoder(encoder);
        	rollingFileAppender.setFile(logDir + name + ".log");
        	rollingFileAppender.setName(name + "Appender");
        	rollingFileAppender.setPrudent(false);
        	rollingFileAppender.setRollingPolicy(timeBasedRollingPolicy);
        	rollingFileAppender.setTriggeringPolicy(timeBasedTriggeringPolicy);

        	timeBasedRollingPolicy.setParent(rollingFileAppender);

        	encoder.start();
        	timeBasedRollingPolicy.start();

        	rollingFileAppender.stop();
        	rollingFileAppender.start();

        	ch.qos.logback.classic.Logger logbackLogger =
(ch.qos.logback.classic.Logger) LogUtil.getLogger(name);
        	logbackLogger.setLevel(templateLogger.getLevel());
        	logbackLogger.setAdditive(false);
        	logbackLogger.addAppender(rollingFileAppender);

        	return logbackLogger;
    }

And this is how I reinitialize logback

	private static void initializeLogback() {
        File logbackFile = new File(logFilePath);
        System.setProperty("logback.configurationFile",
logbackFile.getAbsolutePath());
        StaticLoggerBinder loggerBinder = StaticLoggerBinder.getSingleton();
        LoggerContext loggerContext = (LoggerContext)
loggerBinder.getLoggerFactory();

        loggerContext.reset();
        JoranConfigurator configurator = new JoranConfigurator();
        configurator.setContext(loggerContext);
        try {
            configurator.doConfigure(logbackFile);
        } catch( JoranException e ) {
            throw new ColumbusRuntimeException(e.getMessage(), e);
        }
    }

Note: I also posted the same question to stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9060545/creating-logback-logger-programmatically