[logback-user] logback in endorsed dir

Ale Sarco ale at sarco.com.ar
Wed Feb 15 22:28:39 CET 2012

I have a webapp, running on Tomcat 7, which uses Corba to communicate with a
backend. For performance issues, we use Jacorb instead of the Corba
libraries included in the JDK (this is a similar situation as when wanting
to use different libraries for XML), so we've put jacorb.jar in Tomcat's
endorsed dir.
So far so good, but Jacorb has a dependency to slf4j, so slf4j jars have to
be in the endorsed directory as well, and since I want to migrate from log4j
to logback, I had to put a copy of logback jars in endorsed as well.
Now, the problem is logback can't find the logback.xml file which is in the
classpath of the webapp (which is a child of the endorsed classpath), and
therefore falling back to BasicConfigurator, which it's of no use in this
case.
I could always add a copy of logback.xml in endorsed, but that will cause a
problem since we need to deploy to a few different environments, with
different logback.xml in each case.
It'll be quite difficult to change the deployment scripts automatically to
put logback.xml in endorsed (it is not under my control), so I would prefer
any other way to solve this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alex.