[logback-user] Project Can't Find logback.xml file

Roger Spears rspears at northweststate.edu
Fri Jan 20 18:07:41 CET 2012

Hello,

I'm running Netbeans 7.0.1 on a Mac Book Pro with OS Lion.  I'm
currently using log4j without any problems.  I wanted to try out logback.

Yesterday I downloaded logback and placed the 4 jar files in the proper
location.  I'm able to run the basic logback HelloWorld example.  Here's
the code for the HelloWorld example I'm working with:

package helloworld;

import org.slf4j.Logger;
import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory;

public class HelloWorld {

     Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger("helloworld");
     logger.debug("Hello world.");

   }

}

Here's my customized logback.xml file:

<configuration>
<appender name="STDOUT" class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">
<encoder>
<pattern>%date %n [%thread] %level %logger{35} - %n %msg</pattern>
</encoder>
</appender>
<root level="DEBUG">
<appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
</root>
</configuration>

The problem is...Netbeans (or java) never picks up on my customized
logback.xml file.  I'm starting out easy by just changing the pattern to
see if I can get it to work.  When I run the project, I see the
following on the console:

11:56:33.569 [main] DEBUG helloworld - Hello world.

That's not the pattern I specified in logback.xml.

I'm assuming I just don't have it in the proper location.  I have a copy
of logback.xml in the following locations just to see if I had it in the
wrong place:

NetBeansProjects -> HelloWorld -> src -> logback.xml

NetBeansProjects -> HelloWorld -> logback.xml

NetBeansProjects -> HelloWorld -> nbproject -> private -> logback.xml

NetBeansProjects -> HelloWorld -> build -> classes -> logback.xml

System -> Libraries -> Java -> Extensions -> logback.xml

I am still unable to get the pattern I'm looking for.

Does anyone know why this would be happening?

Thanks,
Roger
--
Roger