[logback-user] Project Can't Find logback.xml file

Adam Gordon adam.n.gordon at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 01:44:27 CET 2012

based on Tony's earlier response, it sounds like log back still cannot find
your XML file on the class path.

--adam

On Jan 20, 2012, at 17:41, Roger Spears <rspears at northweststate.edu> wrote:

 I'm curious, when you run the attached project, what do you get for the
console output?  Since it has FOOBAR in the pattern, I would have expected
to see FOOBAR on the console.  Instead, I still see the default display:

19:34:45.088 [main] INFO  helloworld.HelloWorld - hello world!

Is that what you get when you the project that you attached?

Thanks,
Roger

 <compose-unknown-contact.jpg>
 Tony Trinh <tony19 at gmail.com>
 January 20, 2012 1:34 PM
Put logback.xml into the root of your src directory (not in a subdir). This
worked fine for me (see attached Netbeans project).

The output you were seeing was from the
BasicConfigurator
<http://logback.qos.ch/apidocs/ch/qos/logback/classic/BasicConfigurator.html><http://logback.qos.ch/apidocs/ch/qos/logback/classic/BasicConfigurator.html>
(loaded
by default when logback.xml is not found in your classpath), which uses the
ConsoleAppender. It just so happens that your logback.xml also uses the
same type of appender, which might have confused you into thinking that
Logback was ignoring the specified pattern in your configuration.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Roger Spears

 <compose-unknown-contact.jpg>
 Roger Spears <rspears at northweststate.edu>
 January 20, 2012 12:07 PM
Hello,

I'm running Netbeans 7.0.1 on a Mac Book Pro with OS Lion.  I'm currently
using log4j without any problems.  I wanted to try out logback.

Yesterday I downloaded logback and placed the 4 jar files in the proper
location.  I'm able to run the basic logback HelloWorld example.  Here's
the code for the HelloWorld example I'm working with:

package helloworld;

import org.slf4j.Logger;
import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory;

public class HelloWorld {

    Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger("helloworld");
    logger.debug("Hello world.");

  }

}

Here's my customized logback.xml file:

<configuration>
<appender name="STDOUT" class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">
<encoder>
<pattern>%date %n [%thread] %level %logger{35} - %n %msg</pattern>
</encoder>
</appender>
<root level="DEBUG">
<appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
</root>
</configuration>

The problem is...Netbeans (or java) never picks up on my customized
logback.xml file.  I'm starting out easy by just changing the pattern to
see if I can get it to work.  When I run the project, I see the following
on the console:

11:56:33.569 [main] DEBUG helloworld - Hello world.

That's not the pattern I specified in logback.xml.

I'm assuming I just don't have it in the proper location.  I have a copy of
logback.xml in the following locations just to see if I had it in the wrong
place:

NetBeansProjects -> HelloWorld -> src -> logback.xml

NetBeansProjects -> HelloWorld -> logback.xml

NetBeansProjects -> HelloWorld -> nbproject -> private -> logback.xml

NetBeansProjects -> HelloWorld -> build -> classes -> logback.xml

System -> Libraries -> Java -> Extensions -> logback.xml

I am still unable to get the pattern I'm looking for.

Does anyone know why this would be happening?

Thanks,
Roger

--
Roger Spears
Training Coordinator

*********************
These records are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy
Act  (FERPA) and are provided under an exception to the Act found in
Section 99.32.  These records must be maintained confidentially and may not
be re disclosed.  They must be destroyed when your legitimate educational
interest no longer exists. If you are not the intended recipient you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this email
transmission in error, please notify me by telephone or via return email
and delete this email from your system.

http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/reg/ferpa/index.html