[logback-user] Localized log level names

Dario Campagna campagna at esteco.com
Mon Jun 4 09:41:34 CEST 2012

Hi all,

   Just an update on the statistics regarding the generation of
logging event with localized level names.

I forgot to mention that the statistics I reported in my previous mail
were related to the generation of logging event in which also the
string "Caller+" (generated by the conversion word caller) and
messages were localized, not only the level names. To localize the
string "Caller+" I tried both an approach based on Ceki idea (i.e., I
implemented a customized CallerDataConverter), and an approach based
on the modification of the class CallerDataConverter.
To localize log messages I followed the instructions reported at
http://www.slf4j.org/localization.html.

Today I made a little modification to my version of
CallerDataConverter. Now my application on an input that leads to the
generation of about 63000 logging events runs in about 28 seconds
(instead of 46) using my modified version of logback-classic. The
number of invocations of MakePropertyResourceBoundle is 14 (instead of
266).

Hence, the internationalization of level names and the string
"Caller+" obtained modifying logbcak-classic classes seems to be more
efficient than the internationalization based on custom converters for
new conversion words.
This due to the reduced number of invocations of the method
MakePropertyResourceBoundle of CAL10N.

Dario