[logback-user] DBAppender ability to self prune database logging tables

Smith, Larry (ECS - Enterprise Cloud Service) larry.smith5 at hp.com
Thu Jun 7 16:44:23 CEST 2012

I would like to be able to clean up logging entries written to the database. In many of our environments developers test on local copies of databases and in our function test environment we have daily build and deploys of the application. Needless to say, there can be a lot of logging in early stages of development and the log files can grow quite large. I would like to do something similar to the HISTORY tag associated with the rolling file appender, where you could specify how many days, weeks, months that you would like to keep entries in the logging tables.

This needs to be something done from the application, as we do not have the ability to run scheduled database jobs in the various environments to automatically clean up database entries (this is a management procedure, won't bore you with details).

Larry Smith