[logback-user] JMX on a WebSphere clustered environment

Christopher.White at bbh.com Christopher.White at bbh.com
Mon Mar 5 20:31:06 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to use Logback JMX in my application to allow me to change the
configuration at runtime.

I've created client code that can retrieve the JMX bean, and am able to
invoke the JMX bean to get/set logging levels.

This works just fine on one single server. However, my application is
deployed on a cluster of two servers. When invoking the JMXConfigurator,
it only modifies the logging configuration on the particular server that I
happened to connect to for that http request, but does not modify the
configuration on the other clustered server.

Am I missing something, or is there no way to have one JMX call update the
logback configuration on all clustered servers? Am I perhaps retrieving
the JMX bean incorrectly for a clustered environment? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Here is the client code I am using to access the JMX bean:

String contextName = "myContextName";
String objectNameStr = ch.qos.logback.classic.jmx.MBeanUtil.
getObjectNameFor(contextName, JMXConfigurator.class);
javax.management.ObjectName objectName = new
javax.management.ObjectName(objectNameStr);
javax.management.MBeanServer mbs = java.lang.management.ManagementFactory.
getPlatformMBeanServer();
mbean = javax.management.JMX.newMBeanProxy(mbs, objectName,
JMXConfiguratorMBean.class, true);
mbean.setLoggerLevel("myLogger", "debug");

Thanks,
-Chris

*************************** IMPORTANT
NOTE*****************************-- The opinions expressed in this
message and/or any attachments are those of the author and not
necessarily those of Brown Brothers Harriman & Co., its
subsidiaries and affiliates ("BBH"). There is no guarantee that
this message is either private or confidential, and it may have
been altered by unauthorized sources without your or our knowledge.
Nothing in the message is capable or intended to create any legally
binding obligations on either party and it is not intended to
provide legal advice. BBH accepts no responsibility for loss or
damage from its use, including damage from virus.