[logback-user] Handling log events happening before configuration is ready?

Eric Schwarzenbach subscriber at blackbrook.org
Tue Sep 4 19:01:10 CEST 2012

If I'm not mistaken this is more or less the same issue I was describing
in the thread "Context configuration during webapp loading".

The problem is that the static initialization and default configuration
of logback is triggered by the first time something uses slf4j to get a
Logger factory org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder init method. At the
very least, you must trigger this initialization yourself by the code
you must use to get the LoggerContext to do customization in a second
*configuation*.

It seems to me logback ought to offer a way to inject code into this
static initialization, so that you can customize this *first*
configuration. This would probably have to happen by a static method on
some logback class involved in the initialization, and would require you
to ensure your static code runs before any other static code but this
would at least be an improvement IMO.

Eric