[logback-user] SiftingAppender and RollingFileAppender, roll on close.

diroussel nabble at diroussel.xsmail.com
Thu Apr 11 16:42:24 CEST 2013

Hi logback users!

After using logback for a few years I've just started trying to use sifting
appender.  I want to have two messagepricer.${logfileType}.${HOSTNAME}.log
(where logfileType is main or workers) (effectivitly statically named) and
many msg-123456789.log (dynamically named) logs, one for each message
processed.

In general this works, apart from two problems:
 1) dynamically named logs don't get rolled (they not renamed to dated form
and gz into archive dir)
 2) the log file is not closed and when I try to manually rename in Windows
Explorer I'm told I can't, because of the write lock.

Of course I've searched StackOverflow.com, and searched the web, and read
the source code, btu nothing has lead me to a solution.  So I did a build of
trunk (head 3cd6c8ca1142573a2b69e8d2309b31216d764f15) to get
logback-1.0.12-SNAPSHOT.

I think problem (2) is caused by SiftingAppender waiting 30 mins deciding
logs are stale. Maybe this could be configurable.  If I make a patch would
it be accepted?  It has been asked for before, see [1], [2] and [3].

Problem (1) seems to be because when SiftingAppender closes old
RollingFileAppenders, the rollover() is not called, and the file just closed
as is.  I guess this is because during JVM shutdown closing should be fast,
and not trigger a rollover? Other people have hit this before, see [4], so
it seems like a commonly asked for enhancement.

Is there a chance we could add config to RollingFileAppender to enable
roll-on-close?

You can see my logback.xml at [5].

Apart from my suggested enhancements, is there a way to fix this?  Something
I've missed

Also?:
 3) It would be nice if AsyncAppender could fan out to mulitple appenders.
Since it only supports one appender I have to have two AsyncAppenders each
feeding a different SiftingAppender.