[logback-user] JBoss logback scan=true not reloading the changes automatically

KNair myexperimentsjava at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 08:43:01 CEST 2013

Hi All,

We are using logback as the logger in our application. The environment
details are JBoss 5.1, logback logback 0.9.29 and SL4j 1.6.1. The
application is in ear format. As per the document, i ve placed scan = true
and specified a scan period. Now when i change the logger level when the
application is running, it is not reloaded automatically even after the
specified time interval. Once i restart the app server, the changes are
detected.

We tried <jmxConfigurator/> and then changed the levels using jmx console.
That approach has worked fine and logger levels are changed dynamically.

My requirement is to get a solution with out using jmx. so that when i
change the level, it has to reflect with out restarting the server. My
logback.xml is modelled as per the documentation site, i would like to know,
if there is anything more specific to be done? I wanted to minimize the
dependency of logback api in our code, so i am using sl4j as wrapper.  Any
additional properties need to be set, other than scan=true?

All the configuration properties are logged in the console when i start the
server. It even logs, the reload time period which i ve given.

Thanks for the help.

K Nair