[logback-user] SMTPAppender with multiple filters

romeara fortycoats at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 16:47:20 CEST 2013

Hi there,

I'm having an issue with using multiple filters as you had outlined in a

<appender name="SQL_TRANSACTION_DELAY_EMAIL"
class="ch.qos.logback.classic.net.SMTPAppender">
         <filter class="ch.qos.logback.classic.filter.LevelFilter">
             <level>WARN</level>
             <onMatch>NEUTRAL</onMatch>
             <onMismatch>DENY</onMismatch>
         </filter>
         <filter
class="com.annadaletech.taxfree.kioskapp.util.SQLTransactionDelayFilter">
             <transactionDelayText>running time
(millis)</transactionDelayText>
         </filter>
     </appender>

The first filter is looking for any log entry marked as [WARN ] and the
second checks this message for my own user defined value and whether or not
the email needs to be sent. However, though the second filter code is being
accessed, the email is not passed from an ACCEPT filterReply.

I've also read somewhere that apparently the SMTPAppender wont send an email
unless its catching an ERROR message. If so, how can I alter this?

Your thoughts appreciated,

Ray.