[logback-user] Log Forgery - an ideas?

Donald McLean dmclean62 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 19:21:27 CEST 2013

I don't know that logback has any kind of direct solution, though I'm sure
that a bug report would at least get some reasonable consideration.

On the other hand, logging to a database might help, or using a more
complicated format for log entries (
http://logback.qos.ch/manual/encoders.html - see the section on
PatternLayoutEncoder) would make it easier to pick out fake log entries.
Adding a time tag would make it significantly more difficult to forge an
entry - it would be easy enough to verify that the time tags in the file
are all in the correct order. Out of order entries would be obvious fakes.

In any case, I absolutely would also look at addressing this problem on the
input side, as well.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM, kommersz <kommersz at freemail.hu> wrote:

>    Hi Logback people,
>
>    I am now looking for a logging solution to use in a larger piece of
> software, which would provide protection against Log Forgery (
> http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/117.html), even in cases when
> logging to a text file is configured (log forgery is basically about
> strings containing linefeeds being passed over to the logging framework -
> if the srings are manipulated in the right way, the new entries look like
> if they were "real" log entries)
>  I already had a look at log4j, and talked to some people, but to me it
> seems that they do not offer, and do not want to offer any sort of
> protection. So I would like to consider now Logback - and hence the
> question: is Logback offering any sort of solution, or is any solution
> planned?
>
>  Cheers,
> Gabor

Family photographs are a critical legacy for
ourselves and our descendants. Protect that
legacy with a digital backup and recovery plan.