[logback-user] commons-logging -> sl4j -> logback

Kristian Lind klpcrap at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 21:43:39 CET 2013

In a previous project I switched from commons-logging -> log4j to sl4j ->
logback.
One of the reasons I did that was the overhead in log4j when providing a
object in the log...
log.debug("This is a object" + object);
would cause the object.toString to be called even debug was not enabled.

Now I work on a new project that uses commons-logging -> sl4j -> logback
(jcl-over-slf4j)

My question is now, will this still call object.toString.. even debug is
not enabled

import org.apache.commons.logging.Log;
log.debug("This is a object" + object);

I would like to get rid of commons-logging and jcl-over.sl4j and only have
sl4j and logback.