[logback-user] commons-logging -> sl4j -> logback

David Harkness david.h at highgearmedia.com
Fri Feb 8 17:12:29 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:24 AM, Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <
thunderaxiom at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think the primary focus for this facility has been raw speed.

As well it should, IMHO. The goal for me is to provide a meaningful
diagnostic of what's going on without impacting the running system too
much, both when logging is turned on and off.

> **
>
> In my understanding the primary usage of positional is to be able to
> translate sentences more fluently into another human language.

Yes, it allows the parameters in externalized messages to be reordered
while translating to other languages. I think if you're going to this much
trouble to produce messages for the user, they are important enough to be
left on all the time. Thus, you can pay the cost to format the message
up-front using a tool more suited to that task and hand them off to the
logging system.

I don't see a strong need for positional parameters.

David