[logback-user] Logback not rolling

ceki ceki at qos.ch
Wed Jun 5 21:46:53 CEST 2013

Hi Steve,

The internal status messages are often very helpful in such
circumstances. Did you set the debug attribute of the <configuration>
element set to true?

<configuration debug="true" ...>

see also [1] and [2]

[1] http://logback.qos.ch/manual/configuration.html#automaticStatusPrinting
[2] http://logback.qos.ch/manual/configuration.html#viewingStatusMessages

On 05.06.2013 21:40, Steve Cohen wrote:
> How does one debug windows permissions - just to even see what they are?
> I tried cacls and I see all these terms like
> FILE_READ_ATTRIUTES, FILE_WRITE_EA, etc. which as far as I can tell are
> not defined ANYWHERE I can find on the web.
>
> Does anyone know what Windows 7 permission(s) would be necessary for a
> user to have in order for the rollover function of logback to work?  I
> assume that it is doing a rename (or move) operation.
>
> On 06/05/2013 12:35 PM, Robert Kuhar wrote:
>> Every time this has happened to me the root cause has been a permissions
>> problem.  Do you have a means to tailing standard out/err to see if the
>> tell tale "permissions" problem is showing up there?
>>
>> Also, if your app isn't running when the trigger is me, it is my
>> understanding and observation that the logs won't roll.
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Steve Cohen <scohen at javactivity.org
>> <mailto:scohen at javactivity.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     I have a logback configuration which specifies a daily rollover for
>>     a java swing application that is connected to a legacy backend and
>>     creates much log:
>>
>>              <appender name="LocalFile"
>>
>>     class="ch.qos.logback.core.__rolling.RollingFileAppender">
>>                      <File>${logdir}/local.log</__File>
>>                      <rollingPolicy
>>     class="ch.qos.logback.core.__rolling.__TimeBasedRollingPolicy">
>>                              <!-- daily rollover -->
>>

>> <fileNamePattern>${logdir}/__local.%d{yyyy-MM-dd}.log</__fileNamePattern>
>>                              <!-- keep 10 days' worth of history -->
>>                              <maxHistory>10</maxHistory>
>>                      </rollingPolicy>
>>                      <encoder>
>>                              <pattern>%d [%t] %-5p %c{2} - %m%n</pattern>
>>                      </encoder>
>>                      <filter
>>     class="ch.qos.logback.classic.__filter.ThresholdFilter">
>>                              <level>INFO</level>
>>                      </filter>
>>              </appender>
>>
>>     I am finding in production that sometimes the logfile doesn't roll.
>>       I am not sure whether the application is running at the moment
>>     when it's supposed to roll, if that matters.  Initially I suspected
>>     Windows 7 permissions - a bloody nightmare - were responsible.  I
>>     initially thought that it always rolled correctly on some machines,
>>     but not on others.  But now I find a case on a single machine where
>>     rollovers happened on some days but not on others.
>>
>>     We are using logback v.1,0.7 and slf4j version 1.6.5.  Yes, I know
>>     there are more recent versions but it would be a major hassle
>>     getting them deployed into our particular environment and I haven't
>>     seen this behavior in months of testing.
>>
>>     Can anyone point me in a direction leading to the solving of this
>> issue?

65% of statistics are made up on the spot